[Dovecot] Dovecot and Phpgroupware compatibility

Carlos Xavier cbastos at connection.com.br
Wed May 27 10:12:48 EEST 2009

Hi,
recently moved our server from mbox format to Maildir format.
Almost all the users are very happy with this, since the speed had increased very much.
I used mb2md to do the conversion and on this task all the mailboxes that had "." (dot)
on their names were converted to "_".

But there is one issue with this, we also use the webmail that comes with Phpgroupware,
and it uses some mailbox that have fixed named like INBOX.Sent, INBOX.Draft and so on.
When their names were changed the sent messages didn't get saved anymore, so I had to move
them back to the old names.

After that the sent messages returned to be saved again, but another troube showed up.
As they start with .INBOX and have "." on the names, Dovecot shown them as a subdirectory
of the INBOX and we got some people upset with this.

I need help on configuring Dovecot to not show them this way, because if you look the .INBOX.Sent
either on the webmail or by outlook, the field displayed is the sender, witch is not desired.

When I did the conversion, to keep the compatibility with the old server (quota, avoid I/O botleneck, etc), I set
two Maildirs, one at /var/spool/mail/$USER, to be the INBOX and another at the user home.

We are using Dovecot version 1.1.13, and below is the relevant configuration on use.

namespace public {
   prefix = "#mbox/"
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
   list = no
   location= maildir:/var/spool/mail/%u/:CONTROL=~/control:INDEX=~/control
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix =
   location= maildir:~/Maildir/:CONTROL=~/control:INDEX=~/control
   inbox = no
}

Best Regards,
Carlos Xavier.