[Dovecot] "Time just moved backwards" in Dovecot in a Xen DomU

Thierry DOSTES tdostes at ibsm.cnrs-mrs.fr
Tue Oct 6 10:08:05 EEST 2009

Hi,

Here comes an extract from Debian Wiki about Xen to allow a domU to keep
its own time :

----
(...) your domU is likely using the xen clocksource instead of its own
clock ticks. In practice, this seems to be the cause of infrequent
lockups under load (and/or problems with suspending). A workaround is to
decouple the clock in the domU from the dom0:

In your dom0 and domU /etc/sysctl.conf add the line:
xen.independent_wallclock=1. On the dom0, edit the configuration file of
the domU (e.g. /etc/xen/foobar.cfg and add (or expand) the extra-line:
extra="clocksource=jiffies".

These settings can be activated without rebooting the domU. After
editing the configuration files, issue sysctl -p and
echo "jiffies"> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
on the domU prompt.

Because the clock won't be relying on the dom0 clock anymore, you
probably need to use ntp on the domU to synchronize it properly to the
world.
----

Hope this helps.

Thierry.