[Dovecot] "Time just moved backwards" in Dovecot in a Xen DomU

Patrick Domack patrickdk at patrickdk.com
Tue Oct 6 16:08:19 EEST 2009

Hmm, I have been running dovecot inside xen for almost 3 years now
without any time issues. I checked my logs and I have no ntp time
reset messages for the last month.

I think it's more possible ntp is stepping the time instead of slewing
it (http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm section 5.1.1.4), OR, the
ntp servers your using or network connection you have are giving you
lots of jitter. I personally try to pick 3 good low jitter, low
latency servers and 1 higher latency. Only running ntpd on the dom0
and nothing on the domU's.

Hmm, checking the lots on my home machine, even it doesn't have a time
reset log message, and it's network can be overloaded for hours at a
time.