[Dovecot] simple steps with sieve

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 21:12:56 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 17:59 +0200, Pascal Volk wrote:

> The :addresses argument accepts only additional mail addresses that a
> user might have. (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5230#section-4.5)
> Which of your users has the address *doe@*? ;-)
> I believe there is no wildcard support. In my opinion wildcard addresses
> would also make no sense.

OK now I understand...

Postfix receives mails in firstname.lastname at domain.com format, and does
an LDAP lookup to Active Directory to determine the 'flastname'
login-name format (for delivery to /home/AD/flastname/Maildir/).

It would then seem that we'd need a method to do a reverse lookup at
Dovecot's 'deliver' time and determine the valid To: addresses from
LDAP. Does this sound vaguely possible without major engineering work?

> > I'm just trying to reduce the migration pain on behalf of the users
> > whose current experience with Outlook is Tools -> Out of Office ->
> > Enable.
>
> Hm, I can't find Outlook in the repos. :-D

Ha :) Work with me here; I'm trying to pull people /away/ from the beast
so the experience needs to be as drool-proof as possible as people leave
their comfort zone :)

gdh