[Dovecot] HA Dovecot Config?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Oct 22 14:57:56 EEST 2009

Steve wrote:
> I have never used FileReplicationPro but looking at what it offers it reminds me of GlusterFS. I use GlusterFS for all www data of the domains I host. I don't use jet GlusterFS for IMAP/POP storage for all domains I host. Only a small subset of the domains I host have GlusterFS for IMAP/POP but so far it works without issues and I will soon or later migrate the other domains to be on GlusterFS as well.
>
> The setup of GlusterFS is ultra easy (compared to other clustering FS solution I have seen) and it offers some very nice functions.
>
> In the past I have burned my fingers with older GlusterFS releases when I have tried to use it as storage for IMAP/POP but the later 2.0.x releases of GlusterFS are more stable.

The thread moved on and no one seemed to bite, but I also have watched
glusterfs for a long while now and been very attracted by the basic
principle. I would be very interested to hear more about how it's worked
out for you?  Got any benchmarks, perhaps comparing against local
storage and vs NFS?

It seems intuitively very appealing to use something heavily distributed
in the style of gluster/mogile for the file data, and something fast
(like local storage) for the indexes.  Perhaps even dovecot proxying
could be used to help force users onto a persistent server to avoid
re-creating index data...

For smaller setups it would be appealing to find something simpler than
DRBD for a two server active/active setup (eg both servers acting as
both storage & imap and failover for each other)

Cheers

Ed W