[Dovecot] 1.1 Quota Question

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 28 01:13:09 EET 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 16:16 -0700, Marty Anstey wrote:
> We are currently running Dovecot 1.1.16 & Postfix; maildir++.
>
> When a message arrives for a mailbox which is over quota, it is bounced.
> Obviously, this isn't very desirable; the primary downside to this is
> that when junk mail hits a full mailbox it's bounced to that recipient
> of the message. On a busy mail system, that could potentially get us
> blacklisted pretty quickly. Ideally we would like to reject the messages
> inline. Is there an easy way to set this up?

a) Use deliver -e parameter and configure your MTA to wait on replying
to DATA command until deliver has finished. I don't know how to make
Postfix do this (or perhaps it does it by default? dunno).

b) Use quota_warning scripts on 100% quota usage to update user's "quota
full" bit in a database (or wherever) and have Postfix reject RCPT TO
command based on that information. I don't know how to do that on
Postfix's side either.