[Dovecot] Home directories

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 24 21:01:10 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 19:37 +0200, Thomas Leuxner wrote:

> * basedir

Dovecot already has a base_dir setting, typically /var/run/dovecot

> * mailroot

"Mail root dir" is the ~/Maildir/ or ~/mail/ or ~/dbox/ directory.

> * virtual

Well, "virtual" alone is used for tons of stuff :) "Virtual home" is
what I'm thinking now..

> In the end it is probably better to improve the documentation than
> introducing self-explantory aliases. In the end both will only target
> a limited number of people/cases, still leaving room for
> interpretation.

Even if only documentation is changed, it still needs a name. I can't
talk about "home directories", because people see only "home" and
immediately decide "this doesn't concern me, I don't have home
directories" and ignore whatever else comes after it. But if the
documentation talked about "virtual home directories", maybe they
wouldn't ignore it so easily.