[Dovecot] Can't get dovecot to see email folders

Blaster blaster at 556nato.com
Sat Aug 28 18:08:55 EEST 2010

  Charles,

Thanks for much for your tips...I have gotten further!

I did have a userdb section, but I commented it out because it didn't
seem to do anything.  I've added it back in, and now home= is filled in
appropriately.  Now my mail clients aren't complaining!

However, Thunderbird, Outloook, etc, are still not able to list private
folders.  If I make a new folder, it gets created in /home/%u/mail as it
should, but Thunderbird removes it again on the next refresh.  If I use
the mail client on my Android phone which does a raw directory listing,
I'm put into the correct /home/%u/mail folder, so that part is working.
So this seems to be a foldering listing problem?  I've copied in the
UW-IMAP namespace section from the WIKI.

HEre's my current config file, any thoughts as to why Thunderbird isn't
picking up the private folders?

# /opt/sbin/dovecot -n
# 2.0.1: /opt/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: SunOS 5.11 i86pc
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
first_valid_uid = 100
mail_debug = yes
mail_gid = mail
mail_location = mbox:/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
mail_uid = dovecot
namespace {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   prefix =
   separator = /
}
namespace {
   hidden = yes
   list = yes
   location =
   prefix = mail/
   separator = /
}
namespace {
   hidden = yes
   list = yes
   location =
   prefix = ~/mail/
   separator = /
}
namespace {
   hidden = yes
   list = yes
   location =
   prefix = /home/%u/mail/
   separator = /
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
plugin {
   home = /home/%u
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
   inet_listener imaps {
     address = *
     port = 993
   }
}
service pop3-login {
   inet_listener pop3 {
     address = *
     port = 0
   }
   inet_listener pop3s {
     address = *
     port = 0
   }
}
ssl_cert = </usr/local/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </usr/local/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}