[Dovecot] LMTP-Server: missing headers

Warren Baker warren at decoy.co.za
Mon Feb 1 19:05:20 EET 2010

On 1 February 2010 11:32, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 1.2.2010, at 8.38, Andreas Schulze wrote:
>
>> In the first case there are *no* Return-Path and Delivered-To Headers.
>> In the (most common) second case the *are* present.
>> Why these Headers are not included while using the LMTP-Server?
>
> I guess I could add Return-Path header. I could also add Delivered-To as long as there is only a single recipient, but adding it for multiple recipients would make everything much more difficult than I'd like.
>
> I was wondering about Delivered-To header before too. What do people use it for?

There is also Exim's Envelope-To: header which is sometimes useful for
a catchall maildrop scenario. Fetchmail, by default, also makes use of
X-Envelope-To:. If i remember right sendmail can be configured to add
X-Envelope-To:.

Which, as another posted pointed out, is mainly used for mail filtering.

Maybe the envelope address header to be added can be a config file option?

.warren