[Dovecot] disabling mail delivery for a user

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 2 23:58:06 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 16:34 -0500, Frank Cusack wrote:

> Yep, that seems to be the case.  The target (disabled) user need not exist
> in the userdb at all and dovecot/imap can still find their shared maildir.

This depends on your settings. If you use ~/ in shared user's location,
Dovecot needs to do a userdb lookup to find out the user's home.
Otherwise it doesn't need to do it, so it doesn't.

> That's interesting.  It seems it could lead to confusion and perhaps this
> is not desirable?  Because what if my userdb overrides the mail_location
> via proxy or load-balancing hash?  imap wouldn't be able to find the
> correct maildir.

That wouldn't currently work for shared mailboxes anyway, because
typically you'd have separate :INDEX= directory in the shared
mail_location.

I guess in future something should be done about this..