[Dovecot] Converting layouts

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Feb 9 20:24:22 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 11:54 +0100, Luciano Mannucci wrote:
> I'm using dovecot 1.2.10 with mbox format (which implies layout=fs)
> and I would like to switch to maildir++ layout without changing format
> in order to implement subfolders for IMAP users. I understand that I
> should move the INDEX location to avoid some namespace conflict (it
> would be a good idea anyway: I'll move them on another disc :).

Test it first. I haven't done much Maildir++ layout testing with mbox.
There's also another possibility you could try:

mail_location = mbox:/var/spool/mailboxes/%u:DIRNAME=mbox

Then you'd have e.g.:

foo/mbox
foo/bar/mbox

Looks like INBOX stupidly creates "inbox" instead of INBOX/mbox, but you
can fix that also by specifying :INBOX=.../INBOX/mbox

> mail_location=mbox:/var/spool/mailboxes/%u:LAYOUT=Maildir++:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/dovecot_indexes

":INDEX=/var/dovecot_indexes/%u". Also I don't think you need the :INBOX
part.

> I'll have to rename folders for IMAP users, right?

Yes.

> Is there some script that does just that?

No.

> Some other needed black magic for .subscriptions?

Create a namespace that sets separator=/, otherwise clients could become
confused because separator changes to '.'. Also check if any users
already have mailboxes with '.' in them, because those will have to be
renamed somehow. Or you could alternatively use listescape plugin.