[Dovecot] deliver and cloning file permissions

Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth leo at strike.wu.ac.at
Sat Feb 13 15:57:39 EET 2010

Hi!

I'd like to use deliver (dovecot-1.2.10) as LDA to deliver mails to my
local users on my postfix-system.

However, deliver tries to copy the filesystem permissions of the
mail-spool-files to the user's index files, which doesn't work, since
the files in /var/mail/ belong to the group 'mail'.

Feb 13 00:21:19 leo-x61 dovecot: deliver(leo):
fchown(/home/leo/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log.newlock, -1,
12(mail)) failed: Operation not permitted (egid=100(users), group based
on /var/mail/leo)

I know that dovecot tries to clone the mailbox permissions in order to
support shared folders but it would be nice if there was an option to
disable this (or to just try it and ignore the fchown error).

I could manually change group ownership of all mailboxes from mail to
each user's primary group or set the mailbox-modes to 0600 but I'd also
have to do that for every new user.
(Tools to create users like useradd from shadow-utils use hardcoded file
modes and group ownership.)

Is there any workaround?

Thanks,
--leo