[Dovecot] OT: best linux imap client for dovecot

Michael M. Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Wed Feb 24 21:51:12 EET 2010

Quoting Jim Trigg <jtrigg at spamcop.net>:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:37:52PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> 2) Just implement IMAP protocol correctly and efficiently and without
>> pointless settings, such as TB's "server supports folders that have
>> subfolders". The HOWTO is mainly about this.
>
> Like making "subscribed folders" be the same as "folders that are
> checked for new mail" instead of having "subscribe" exist but be
> pointless?

This doesn't make any sense, and is not the purpose of subscriptions.

Example:
* I have 100's of sent-mail mailboxes I don't want to be subscribed
to, because it is doubtful I will ever use them. These mailboxes are
unsubscribed because I don't want to see them in any mailbox listings
by default.
* I do want to see my Trash mailbox, because I occasionally pop in
there to retrieve a deleted message.
* However, I do *not* want my Trash mailbox to be polled for
new/unseen messages.  That information is both worthless (I move
unseen messages into Trash all the time) and a waste of resources (my
Trash mailbox may have an extremely large number of messages contained
in it).

michael