[Dovecot] OT: best linux imap client for dovecot

Brian Hayden bhayden at umn.edu
Wed Feb 24 21:55:50 EET 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Michael M. Slusarz wrote:

> Quoting Jim Trigg <jtrigg at spamcop.net>:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 08:37:52PM +0200, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Just implement IMAP protocol correctly and efficiently and
>>> without
>>> pointless settings, such as TB's "server supports folders that have
>>> subfolders". The HOWTO is mainly about this.
>>
>> Like making "subscribed folders" be the same as "folders that are
>> checked for new mail" instead of having "subscribe" exist but be
>> pointless?
>
> This doesn't make any sense, and is not the purpose of subscriptions.
>
> Example:
> * I have 100's of sent-mail mailboxes I don't want to be subscribed
> to, because it is doubtful I will ever use them. These mailboxes are
> unsubscribed because I don't want to see them in any mailbox
> listings by default.

This use of subscriptions is a terrible abuse of IMAP. Like most
terrible abuses, it's a-ok to choose for yourself if you're an
advanced user, but anyone who has done support for a broad user base
knows that a client should *NEVER* act like this as the default.
Subscriptions are brittle and non-portable and hiding mailboxes based
on them leads only to floods of "Where is all my mail you screwed up
my life!!!!" interactions.

-Brian