[Dovecot] Regarding: **OFF LIST** subject declaration

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Feb 24 21:53:37 EET 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Jerry wrote:
>>> Seriously, I just have to ask this question. Why mark via the
>>> subject line a message as "OFF LIST" and then send it via the
>>> normal list framework. Doing so only insures that the message is
>>> actually "ON LIST" irregardless of what nomenclature is used in the
>>> subject line. If
>>> a message is truly supposed to be "OFF LIST", then why not send it
>>> directly to its intended recipient(s)? If, on the other hand, it is
>>> meant for general review by the groups members, then why mark it
>>> "OFF LIST" to begin with?
>>
>>    Um, wow.  Like you've never intended to send someone an off-list
>> message, got finished typing it, then forgot to change the To: line?
>
> Not that I am aware of

   Well, you're less error-prone than I, then.  I've been "doing
email" for upwards of thirty years and still make that mistake from
time to time.

> and why would I put a declaration like that in
> the subject line if I was sending it directly to its intended
> recipient?

   That's simple list(member) etiquette.  When you see a message pop
into your inbox with the same (or similar) subject as a list thread,
it's natural to assume that it's a list message.  When replying, one
might be tempted to set the reply to the list.  If the person sending
the "off list" message doesn't want that information to accidentally
become public, that person should say so.

> In any case, I certainly would not follow it up with an "ON
> LIST" declaration. Admit it, it does seem rather absurd.

   Well, the "on list" part is kinda obvious. ;)

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL