[Dovecot] Upgrade path questions

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jan 13 22:28:43 EET 2010

Quoting Thomas M Goerger <tmg at umn.edu>:

> We are currently running Dovecot v1.1.6 on our servers, and are
> contemplating an upgrade to 1.2, or 2.0 soon.  We are wondering how many
> organizations are still running a 1.1 version of Dovecot, and if anyone
> has any thoughts on this transition.

Probably a lot running 1.1 still.  I only upgraded late last year because
I needed additional functionality (see below), otherwise I'd still be
on 1.1 now.

>  Have you upgraded from 1.1 to 1.2?
> What are your experiences with this?

Yes, and it was painless.  All the info you need is on the dovecot wiki.

> Have you upgraded from 1.1 to 2.0
> directly?

No.

> What are your experiences this way?  We are also running an
> environment with both mbox and maildir formats.  How many of you are
> running similarly, or are running solely maildir or mbox?

We ran solely mbox with 1.1.  The reason I upgrade to 1.2 was to be
able to run primarily mbox, but also run a few maildir accounts for
shared folders with per-user flags with easy time-based expiration (retention
policy).  So we just have a couple maildir accounts used exclusively as
shared-folder accounts (with per-user-flags and auto-expiration of messages
after a set rention period) and the rest are still mbox ( with no
retention/expiration, no shared folders, etc)

If it wasn't for the desire to do the shared folders with expiration, we'd
have stayed with 1.1 still.

> We're just
> looking to gather information going forward, and anything you might be
> able to contribute would be very helpful.

It was a painless process for me.  No problems.

We uprgaded on CentOS 5.x using RPM packages from atrpms.net, and going
from dovecot-1.1.18-1_95.el5.x86_64.rpm to dovecot-1.2.4-0_99.el5.x86_64.rpm
if that's any help. :)

> Thanks!

> * Tom Goerger  -  Email/Unix System Administrator 			*
> * University of Minnesota		       Email:  tmg at umn.edu	*
> * Operations, Infrastructure and Architecture  Phone:  4-5804		*
> * Internet Services			       Office: 626J WBOB	*

Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics
The University of Texas at Austin

Go Longhorns!