[Dovecot] Thinderbird+delete+move to Trash folder

Papp Tamás tompos at martos.bme.hu
Wed Jan 13 23:18:31 EET 2010

Lex Brugman wrote, On 2010. 01. 12. 0:01:
> (as a reply to your mail)
>
> I'm not subscribed to the mailing list, but I just read your thread
> regarding this plugin.
>
> It seems to me that the Shift-Delete function you are referring to
> in Thunderbird just bypasses the built-in move-to-trash-on-delete
> function, but on the server-side is identical to any other regular
> delete action (flag the message as deleted, followed by an expunge
> later on, probably after closing the mail client) and is thus copied
> to the trash folder by my plugin.
>
> I can't think of anything to distinguish this behavior from a normal
> delete action by any other mail client and using Shift-Delete in
> Thunderbird (server-side), if you know one, please let me know and I
> will try to implement it.

hi Lex,

I don't know quite a lot about IMAP.

I just know courier and cyrus and how the way they work with TB.
With them TB expunge the message if I delete it by SHIFT+DEL.

What I can see with courier is if I press DEL, it marks the message as
deleted and copy it to Trash. I say this, because it leaves the marked
message in the mailbox (maildir) and for example I can see and undelete
it by mutt.
If I press SHIFT+DEL, it does not move the message to Trash, only marks
it as deleted.

I apologize if I was not exact and I didn't use the right phrases.

Thank you,

tamas