[Dovecot] 1.2.9 imap crash with backtrace

David Halik dhalik at jla.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 14 02:41:18 EET 2010

Same here. I laughed because our help desk started sending us the exact
same complaints and then today I got a little bit of a red nose when a
director's mail "disappeared" in a meeting. ;) Whoops.

It looks like users who end up with the off by 1 uid list rebuild and
crash experience and empty inbox until the list is rebuilt and
refreshed. I saw one user who experience the crash and then spewed about
15K lines of "Duplicate message, uid -> uid". Since that takes awhile
they probably couldn't see anything in the meantime.

Anyway, since we're hearing the complaints I went and remounted our IMAP
servers with the "noac" NFS option today. So far it seems to have swept
the problem under the rug, but our NFS server's Ops went from an average
of 3-5K to 10K-20K, and the cpu went from 10% to 50% of constant load...
so this is *definitely* only a temp fix. Hopefully Timo will have time
to analyze the problem once his move is all finished.

-Dave