[Dovecot] STATUS command and total/read message count

Florian Effenberger floeff at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:07:49 EET 2010

Hello,

I'm running Dovecot 1.0.15 with Thunderbird 3.0.1. TB can query
folders for messages in two ways: Either by using the STATUS command,
or by opening the folder (don't know the respective IMAP commands,
sorry...).

Querying via opening the folder is reliable, but via the STATUS
command, only new/unread messages are shown. If I want to have the
total number of (unread) mesages in a folder, I have to manually open
it, so the headers are loaded. Is this a Dovecot issue, or a problem
with Thunderbird?

In other words: Does the STATUS command only return new/unread
messages, or can this be configured on the server side?

Thanks,
Florian