[Dovecot] STATUS command and total/read message count

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 24 22:55:42 EET 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-24 at 17:07 +0100, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Querying via opening the folder is reliable, but via the STATUS
> command, only new/unread messages are shown. If I want to have the
> total number of (unread) mesages in a folder, I have to manually open
> it, so the headers are loaded.

I don't understand. What's the difference between "new/unread" and
"unread"? What does headers have to do with it?

> In other words: Does the STATUS command only return new/unread
> messages, or can this be configured on the server side?

There's no configuration. STATUS can only return number of messages,
messages without \Seen flag, number of messages with \Recent flag ("new
messages arrived since last time mailbox was selected"), and some other
less useful things.