[Dovecot] LSUB output format != LIST output format

Martin nakal at web.de
Sun Jan 31 16:04:50 EET 2010

Hi,

I have a problem with my hanging claws-mail. I first subscribed to
their bug tracker, described the problem and before I pressed on submit
in their bugtracker, I realized it might be a problem with dovecot.

I'm using dovecot for internal purposes only (catching all my external
boxes and storing locally):

# 1.2.8: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p5 i386
listen: *, [::]
ssl: required
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 1000
first_valid_gid: 1000
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:~/.mails
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at example.com
  sendmail_path: /usr/sbin/sendmail
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  username_format: %Lu
  passdb:
    driver: pam
    args: session=yes dovecot
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
    args: blocking=yes
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
      mode: 432
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 384

The mailboxes are on simple UFS2 file system.

Here is what I get when listing subscribed folders, like claws-mail
does:

. LSUB "" "*"
* LSUB () "." "Trash"
* LSUB () "." "Queue"
* LSUB () "." "Sent"
* LSUB () "." "Drafts"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.FreeBSD."
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.Spam"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.Spam.LearnHam"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.Spam.LearnSpam"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.Steno"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.Gentoo"
* LSUB () "." "INBOX.Notifications"
. OK Lsub completed.

Please notice the "INBOX.FreeBSD." with the dot at the end of the
folder name. Here the output of LIST:

. LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Trash"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Queue"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Sent"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "Drafts"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX.FreeBSD"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.FreeBSD.current"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.FreeBSD.Foren"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.FreeBSD.announce"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.FreeBSD.stable"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX.Spam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Spam.LearnHam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Spam.LearnSpam"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Gentoo"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Steno"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.Notifications"
. OK List completed.

The folder name here does not have the dot at the end? Why is this
happening? The RFC says the output should not differ, as far as I
understood it.

I think it might be the dot in LSUB causing claws-mail loop
indefinitely when refreshing the folder structure. Annoying!!

I hope, you can help me. Thanks in advance.

--
Martin Sugioarto