[Dovecot] Dovecot aspects of fighting spam

Tue Jun 1 17:34:13 EEST 2010

On 2010-06-01 9:42 AM, Phil Howard wrote:
> I see no documents in the Dovecot documents wiki on how Dovecot
> features can be used in the fight against spam.  One hit came up in a
> search, and it was about how to fight spam in the MoinMoin Wiki itself
> (e.g. TextCHAs and such).

1. Set up postfix (or whatever  MTA you are using) to reject as much as
possible at SMTP time.

If done right postfix can reject 90+% (depending on how much /what type
of spam your domains get) with pretty much zero FPs...

Lots of examples down in the UCE/Virus section here:

http://www.postfix.org/docs.html

2. Add amavisd-new+spamassassin to the mix, and tag+deliver anything it
detects as spam into the junk folder using sieve...

http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve#SpamAssassin_tagged_mail_filtering

There is also a plugin for dovecot that makes it easy for users to
reclassify stuff as spam or not spam by simply moving the messages to
the appropriate folder, but I think it is mainly designed for DSPAM...
anyone using it with spamassassin?

--

Best regards,

Charles