[Dovecot] Dovecot aspects of fighting spam

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 17:44:24 EEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:21, Frank Elsner <frank at moltke28.b.shuttle.de> wrote:

> Ok, you obviously have a different environment and requirements.
>
> - I do the delivery into special folder by the MTA (exim) and the LDA is
>  not used at all.
>
> - detection training is not done.
>

> Sorry, my world may be to narrow :-)

Each of our worlds is narrow.  Some may be wider than others.
Programs like Dovecot support a LOT of things, and I can't see how
anyone can be using more than a (perhaps significant in some cases)
fraction of it.  Obviously your choice of Exim for an MTA doesn't
relate to my choice of Postfix for MTA.  Dovecot supports both and
more.  So the programs can be a lot wider real world uses.  But put
all the variety of uses together as a set, and it can be seen that
diverse tools are useful.

Since you aren't using Dovecot deliver, then you don't need to be
knowledgeable about its -m option.  I'm curious if that is the only
way.  I'm still thinking that a shim (program) between Postfix and
Dovecot deliver that detects headers, markers, or tags placed on the
message by spam detection, and adds a "-m Spam" option or whatever,
might be what I need to do.  But I guess you won't need it.