[Dovecot] Postfix, MySQL, Dovecot LDA and alias domains

Lampa lampacz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 18:36:18 EEST 2010

2010/6/22 Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com>:
> On 2010-06-22 8:30 AM, Lampa wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> you must combine 2 queries (first for real domain, second for aliased
>> domain), see my user_query
>
> I sure hope you're wrong about that... I haven't had any dovecot
> installations where I'm using aliased domains yet, but this sounds
> ridiculous to me. What if there were 3 aliased domain? 10?

I'm using postfix + dovecot with aliased domains and working.

> My understanding is alias expansion should happen at the MTA, so when
> the message is handed to the LDA for delivery, it should be delivering
> to the final destination, not the original alias.

It depenends on receive_override_options=no_address_mappings settings

> So, just adding the correct virtual_alias_domain and virtual_alias_maps
> should be all that is necessary, right?

Yes if you are using receive_override_options=no_address_mappings, but
if you are using amavis (content filter) you need original mail
addresses (http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html#advanced_filter)

MTA check only if mail is acceptable (know recipient for delivery)
(postfix)-> content filter (amavis)-> rewrite (postfix) -> dovecot lda

Dovecot LDA don't know where mail should be delivered, so at least
user query must be executed

--
Lampa