[Dovecot] Postfix, MySQL, Dovecot LDA and alias domains

Darek M fafaforza at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 18:17:48 EEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2010-06-22 8:30 AM, Lampa wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> you must combine 2 queries (first for real domain, second for aliased
>> domain), see my user_query
>
> I sure hope you're wrong about that... I haven't had any dovecot
> installations where I'm using aliased domains yet, but this sounds
> ridiculous to me. What if there were 3 aliased domain? 10?

The two queries are to handle real domains and alias domains.  I have
14 domains now and the single "user_query" in dovecot.sql takes care
of all of them.

> My understanding is alias expansion should happen at the MTA, so when
> the message is handed to the LDA for delivery, it should be delivering
> to the final destination, not the original alias.
>
> So, just adding the correct virtual_alias_domain and virtual_alias_maps
> should be all that is necessary, right?

The bit of config where I specify the virtual_transport is straight
from Dovecot's docs, and virtual_mailbox_domains only returns domain
names.

I suppose I could edit this to return a real domain for an alias, but
I don't think this would make a difference as dovecot still needs a
directory to put a mail in, and none of the 3 lines that Dovecot lists
for setting the LDA return a maildir location, except the dovecot.sql
query.