[Dovecot] Thunderbird problem

Fri Jun 25 15:32:43 EEST 2010

On 2010-06-25 7:48 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Some users had occasionally a problem with Thunderbird , some random
> emails with attachement(s) cannot be read anymore
> the email appears empty and TB seems to enter in an infinite loop
> saying it is downloading the message
>
> The only solution I found was :
>
> 1 - stop thunderbird on the client machine
> 2 - remove the .imap user's directory
> 3 - restart thunderbird on the client machine
>
> After doing that all emails re-appear normally and attachements
> are readable/downloadable again.
>
> ALL our clients use the IMAP(S) protocol.
>
> Anyone had the same problem ?

Yes, this is a known bug that is fixed in 3.1...

An easier fix is to simply drag the problem message to a different
folder - you can usually open the attachment right away, but often only
once before the local copy gets corrupted again. I created a _Temp
folder for our users having this problem. Sometimes you'd have to
rebuild the index on that folder, even more than once. Then you could
move the message back to the Inbox (or wherever it was).

I seemed to notice this was mostly a problem with messages sent from
Outlook clients.

Anyway - update to 3.1 and the problem is gone.

--

Best regards,

Charles