[Dovecot] dovecot 2.0.beta6 dies when I try to delete a folder with thunderbird

Sven Kirmess sven.kirmess at kzone.ch
Wed Jun 30 22:57:17 EEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 22:20, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 15:34 +0200, Sven Kirmess wrote:
>> When I try to delete a folder with Thunderbird 3.1 I get the following
>> log entry and the folder is not deleted. Filesystem is ZFS.
>>
>> Jun 27 15:32:36 azati dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] master: Error:
>> service(imap): child 18215 killed with signal 11 (core not dumped -
>> set drop_priv_before_exec=yes)
>
> Can you reproduce this by talking imap protocol directly?
>
> telnet localhost 143
> a login user pass
> b delete mailboxname
>
> or possibly
>
> b rename mailboxname Trash/mailboxname
>
> gdb backtrace would be helpful: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html
>
> I couldn't reproduce this, so it's also possible that it's already been
> fixed since beta6.

<http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Thunderbird> was very helpful. Thanks.

This is how I can reproduce it:

$ openssl s_client -connect localhost:993 -crlf

1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT
IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE
QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS]
Logged in
b list "Trash" *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Trash"
b OK List completed.
c list "test2" *
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "test2"
c OK List completed.
d rename "test2" "Trash/test2"
closed

And I get this:

dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] master: Error: service(imap): child
25432 killed with signal 11 (core not dumped - set
drop_priv_before_exec=yes)

Deleting a mailbox is possible, but not moving it to Trash.

> gdb backtrace would be helpful: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html

I get this message in syslog:

core not dumped - set drop_priv_before_exec=yes

And when I set drop_priv_before_exec=yes in dovecot.conf I get this:

doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/opt/dovecot/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 86: Unknown setting:
drop_priv_before_exec

Following http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html I set
mail_drop_priv_before_exec=yes in dovecot.conf and get:

doveconf: Warning: Obsolete setting in
/etc/opt/dovecot/dovecot/dovecot.conf:86: mail_drop_priv_before_exec
has been replaced by service { drop_priv_before_exec }
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/opt/dovecot/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 86: Unknown setting:
drop_priv_before_exec

And "disable_plaintext_auth = no" seams to not work in beta6.