[Dovecot] Mailing list's prefix

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Mar 5 11:50:07 EET 2010

On 04/03/2010 20:59, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Do you think I'd break a lot of people's filters if I removed the
> prefix? :) Anyone strongly for/against removing it? It seems kind of
> annoying to me whenever I happen to think about it.

Doesn't bother me, but I have a feeling that at least some of the older
M$ email clients cannot easily filter messages based on header fields,
subject filters are the simplest options for them.

Certainly I would say that it's currently still the status quo that
mailing lists have subject prefixes, so you are slightly going against
the flow.  You could test the backlash by sending out a small number of
warning messages without the subject prefix and see who complains...

I would suggest it might be an over-bold move given that it changes the
requirement to understand your filtering LDA from beginner to
intermediate, but personally not fussed since my rules all filter on
list headers... (Presumably all those who rate "black belt" on their
relevant LDA have already got filtering rules to remove the prefix...)

Good luck

Ed W