[Dovecot] how quotas works with postfix and dovecot

Anton Dollmaier antondollmaier at aditsystems.de
Sat Mar 13 01:14:37 EET 2010

Hi,

> AFAIK, the backend is only used as a way to determine the used space,
> not as a way to define the limits. So you need to specify the maximum
> quota; the filesystem quota is not recognized. E.g. when specifying
> maildir as backend Dovecot will check the maildir quota in stead of
> using used diskspace as reported by the OS.

if filesystem-quota for the user is present and another quota is
configured in dovecot, dovecot can not overrun the system-quota.

fs-quota not only reports used space, but also enforces the quota-rules
- regardless of dovecot configuration.

I would not recommend using filesystem-quotas as dovecot runs into
issues regarding indexes (see http://wiki.dovecot.org/Quota/FS for
additional infos).

Use maildir-quota, perhabs with dict-quota-storage, and no
filesystem-quota - this works great and also gives easy access for
generating reports about user activities through sql-queries.

best regards,

Anton

--

ADIT Systems