[Dovecot] 1.2.11 nfs_flush_file_handle_cache_dir problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 25 17:51:21 EET 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 15:16 +0000, Ade Fewings wrote:

> Error: nfs_flush_file_handle_cache_dir: rmdir(/var/mail) failed: Device busy

Dovecot tries to flush NFS cache by doing this rmdir(). It is intended
to fail, but not with EBUSY. I guess /var/mail is your NFS mount root?
That's why this is failing. There's really no good way to solve this.

> Which, having searched, I see some discussion of in the past, but not
> with 1.2.  We're using:
>
> mail_privileged_group = mail

None of these matter.

> Couple of questions, if you don't mind:
> 1. Does dovecot user need to be a member of the mail group?

No. Don't ever give any kind of permissions to "dovecot" user.

> 2. Does this error message represent a real problem that needs solving?
> It's very strange how rare it is and that only a few select users have
> encountered.

It happens when Dovecot doesn't find the expected mbox file from the
directory, so Dovecot tries to flush NFS cache to see if the file was
just created. Is something deleting the /var/mail/$user file for those
problem users (e.g. some non-Dovecot MUAs do that)?