[Dovecot] New install authentication probs

Andy Smith a.smith at ukgrid.net
Wed Mar 31 21:18:37 EEST 2010

Hi,

   Im attempting to configure dovecot for the first time, Im trying to
use a MySQL DB that is currently used by tpop3d as Ive read they
support the same password format.
My main prob currently, apart from that it doesnt work lol, is that
Ive enabled the following debugging in dovecot.conf

auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_verbose = yes

But Im getting basically zero info on why my authentication is
failing. In my log (which for testing Ive defined as a file in /tmp to
make sure Im getting all the info logged to one place) I see just:

Mar 31 19:00:17 dovecot: Info: Dovecot v1.2.10 starting up
Mar 31 19:00:17 auth-worker(default): Info: mysql: Connected to
localhost (ukgri  d_vmail)
Mar 31 19:00:18 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=64188
Mar 31 19:00:18 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=64186
Mar 31 19:00:18 auth(default): Info: new auth connection: pid=64187

each time I attempt to connect via IMAP it adds another new auth
connection line to the log but doesnt tell me anything else :(. So Im
stuck debugging my authentication due to lack of info. BTW Im testing
IMAP via telnet, telnet to IMAP port and attempt LOGIN (I have this
working to a courier IMAP installation). Have I done something wrong?
Any help appreciated!

thanks Andy.