[Dovecot] corrupted transaction log errors causing users mail to disappear temporarily

Jordan Tardif jordan at hq.newdream.net
Mon May 3 20:41:57 EEST 2010

So Ive been looking into some problems with users reporting their mail
goes missing for a second but then re-apears very soon after. I have
tracked it down to happening at the same time these appear in the logs.
Seems the transaction logs is getting corrupted somehow and then
rebuilding itself (which works fine). The problem is while its re-builing
the users think all of their mail is gone.

May  3 09:35:52 mailmachine dovecot: IMAP(test at domain.com): Corrupted
transaction log file usershomedir/Maildir/dovecot.index.log seq 3: Invalid transaction log
size (32708 vs 32840): usershomedir/Maildir/dovecot.index.log (sync_offset=32708)

We are using load balanced servers and data/index's are stored in their
home dir's over nfs. All my config details and nfs options are below. We
are currently balancing based on source address so most of the time users
imap/pop processes should stick to one machine as much as possible.

Does anyone know of a way to rid of this problem, or at least make it so
dovecot just returns a server error to the imap/pop client instead of
showing them a blank index?

#nfs options
defaults,intr,vers=3,bg,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,proto=udp	0 0

# 1.2.11: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.29.2-xenon-mail-ipv6-grsec x86_64 Debian 5.0.1
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap pop3
listen(default): *:143
listen(imap): *:143
listen(pop3): *:110
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /usr/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
login_user: dhmail
login_process_per_connection: no
login_processes_count: 150
login_max_processes_count: 1000
login_max_connections: 3000
max_mail_processes: 2500
mail_max_userip_connections: 7
first_valid_uid: 100
mail_privileged_group: mail
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mmap_disable: yes
mail_nfs_index: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default): %08Xu%08Xv
pop3_uidl_format(imap): %08Xu%08Xv
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): UID%u-%v

--