[Dovecot] Thunderbird very slow startup, 1.2.11, mbox, postfix local delivery to /var/mail

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon May 10 15:48:45 EEST 2010

Charles Marcus put forth on 5/10/2010 5:06 AM:
> On 2010-05-09 2:54 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> It's frustrating trying to solve this, to say the least. :(  I don't have
>> enough in depth knowledge of either application to figure this out on my
>> own.
>
> Hey Stan,
>
> Sorry I can't offer any more help, other than to ask - have you
> seen/used the troubleshooting techniques available for Thunderbird as
> described here?
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Thunderbird?highlight=%28thunderbird%29|%28log%29
>
> Please do post back if you are ever able to solve this...

Oh, if it's solvable without code changes by the devs I'll eventually figure
it out.  One of my personality traits is that I physically/mentally _can't_
stop until I identify root cause.

Anyway, I just sat down and fired up Tbird.  Had 181 new messages.  Even
after switching over to Dovecot LDA, Tbird still took forever to pull the
message headers.  At this point I don't see how this could be a Dovecot
problem, so I'm going to focus all my research now on Tbird.

I'm thinking at this point that the cause of the problem is that I probably
use Tbird in a way/methodology that the Tbird devs never anticipated, or
discourages.  It's seems clear, unfortunately, that their entire mindset is
based on a FAT client that caches, indexes, and syncs all messages locally.

Thanks for the link.  I'll post updates as I gather new information.

--
Stan