[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:54:06 EEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 17:14, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> I guess you've never used it with tens and tens of thousands of users, let
> alone user numbers well into 6 figures
> and why on gods (or any) earth would I use that load of crap being backed
> up by another  form? that clearly makes no sense, we have backup provisions
> being mysql replications sure but thats nothing like what you do.
> your method is pure insanity in this day and age.

I've used a like technique with over 45 million records present.  Was
extremely fast.  Beat the pants off SQL for the kinds of things this is good
for, which is: ... simple key:value lookups

I guess you've been bitten by a proper database solution given your
> apprehension for using one.

It's called experience.  I could explain many cases where SQL is overkill
and overhead.  But I don't do mail servers very much, so it would all be
off-topic for this list.  This is not the SQL/NOSQL battle zone.

yes it is, if you only have a small number of users.

Why would it be any slower if the 45 million records represented users
instead of document IDs?

> (please use reply to list, not reply to all)

No such button.  That's one of the reasons why mailing lists are lousy.  Oh,
since this is a list about an aspect of mail servers, I suppose it seems
natural to communicate over a mailing list.  OTOH, some people might need to
communicate when mail isn't working.  That's one of the reasons I acquired a
Gmail account for this and Postfix subscription.  So do you know a freemail
service where there is a "reply to list" button?