[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri May 21 01:45:28 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 08:54 -0400, Phil Howard wrote:

>         I guess you've been bitten by a proper database solution given
>         your apprehension for using one.
>
> It's called experience.  I could explain many cases where SQL is
> overkill and overhead.  But I don't do mail servers very much, so it
> would all be off-topic for this list.  This is not the SQL/NOSQL
> battle zone.
>

>         yes it is, if you only have a small number of users.
>

> Why would it be any slower if the 45 million records represented users
> instead of document IDs?

like you said, you dont really do mail servers

Id LOVE to see you try even 100K users in mail server situation that is
ever changing, you'd soon open your eyes up.

The reason we moved from qmail/vpopmail CDB to qmail/vpopmail/mysql was
for a  MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT in performance, then added dovecot in for
even more performance improvements,  I too was hesitant, but a large
university having similar problems to us made the change and it was like
comparing a snail V porsche, I made our change based on their results
and never looked back, of course we then had the sense to migrate to
postfix and remove vpopmail from the equation altogether. Best move
ever, so yes experience counts.

>         (please use reply to list, not reply to all)
>

> No such button.  That's one of the reasons why mailing lists are
> lousy.  Oh, since this is a list about an aspect of mail servers, I
> suppose it seems natural to communicate over a mailing list.  OTOH,
> some people might need to communicate when mail isn't working.  That's
> one of the reasons I acquired a Gmail account for this and Postfix
> subscription.  So do you know a freemail service where there is a
> "reply to list" button?

well I dont need two copies, and often yours get here first and
accepted, therefor the list copy is discarded as duplicate, I prefer my
lsit mail to be sorted by evolution into its respective mail folder.
The fact gmail dont offer this is no excuse most other gmail users dont
have this problem, its just another mess gmail creates, like their
hopeless quoter segment handling, but , if you use a service you dont
pay for then you cant bitch, but often because "some" dont know how to
cut quoting,  it ends up being 15 pages long and you have NFI who said
what.
I have a gmail a/c only for testing when someone whinges the cant get
mail from them, i'd never rely on them for day to day communications,
those that do, need to stop being lazy and make the extra effort,
Evolution (my version anyway) has no short cut button., I have to hit
the key combo manually, its not killing me to do so.

anyway, I guess you'll think your way, and I'll think mine, going to be
pointless continuing this thread it seems, since your not by your own
admission a mail admin and obviously have not had to deal with the
situations we have.