[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Fri May 21 16:04:25 EEST 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 18:45, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> like you said, you dont really do mail servers
>
> Id LOVE to see you try even 100K users in mail server situation that is
> ever changing, you'd soon open your eyes up.

I know it would mean more hits to the DB.

> The reason we moved from qmail/vpopmail CDB to qmail/vpopmail/mysql was
> for a  MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT in performance, then added dovecot in for
> even more performance improvements,  I too was hesitant, but a large
> university having similar problems to us made the change and it was like
> comparing a snail V porsche, I made our change based on their results
> and never looked back, of course we then had the sense to migrate to
> postfix and remove vpopmail from the equation altogether. Best move
> ever, so yes experience counts.

CDB can still run circles around any *SQL DB.  Sounds to me like you were
using CDB wrong or other factors in your situation made CDB impractical.
One such situation could be frequent updates.  If you need to do frequent
updates, and with 100K users that may well be the case, then CDB can be a
loss.  Did you try Berkeley DB?

Now show me how this means CDB is bad for lookups.

> >         (please use reply to list, not reply to all)
> >

> > No such button.  That's one of the reasons why mailing lists are
> > lousy.  Oh, since this is a list about an aspect of mail servers, I
> > suppose it seems natural to communicate over a mailing list.  OTOH,
> > some people might need to communicate when mail isn't working.  That's
> > one of the reasons I acquired a Gmail account for this and Postfix
> > subscription.  So do you know a freemail service where there is a
> > "reply to list" button?
> >

> well I dont need two copies, and often yours get here first and
> accepted, therefor the list copy is discarded as duplicate, I prefer my
> lsit mail to be sorted by evolution into its respective mail folder.
> The fact gmail dont offer this is no excuse most other gmail users dont
> have this problem, its just another mess gmail creates, like their
> hopeless quoter segment handling, but , if you use a service you dont
> pay for then you cant bitch, but often because "some" dont know how to
> cut quoting,  it ends up being 15 pages long and you have NFI who said
> what.

Where is the "reply to list" button on Evolution?  I don't see one there,
either.  All it has are "reply" and "reply to all".  The reply sends to the
sender alone if it's a case where there are 2 addresses to send to (reply to
all would send to 2 in that case).

There are a number of posters on the list where the reply goes directly to
the list alone.  I don't know what it is they do with the headers to get it
to come out that way.  Maybe you can ask them what they do, then do that.

> I have a gmail a/c only for testing when someone whinges the cant get
> mail from them, i'd never rely on them for day to day communications,
> those that do, need to stop being lazy and make the extra effort,
> Evolution (my version anyway) has no short cut button., I have to hit
> the key combo manually, its not killing me to do so.

I don't know what key you are talking about.

> anyway, I guess you'll think your way, and I'll think mine, going to be
> pointless continuing this thread it seems, since your not by your own
> admission a mail admin and obviously have not had to deal with the
> situations we have.

It's not about thinking ... it's about seeing.  I see faster lookup
performance from CDB and similar technology than from MySQL or PostgreSQL.
I haven't tried Oracle (nor is that ever likely to happen).  I have tried
SyBase and Ingres, and they were both quite bad.  In the Sybase case,
updates were fortunately only daily, so I could literally run a cron job to
download all the records at night, and build a CDB-like DB, and have the
lookups be done from there.  With 34 million records, the download took
about 4 hours.  Lookups to Sybase took about 20 seconds each (and it was an
indexed table).  Lookups on the DB file were a tiny fraction of a second.  I
see problems with big database engines all the time.  Sure, if you are
running a big massive mail server with lots of updates, and SQL DB might
well be the only choice.  Tell me what DB GMAIL uses.

Threads like this are one of the reasons I'm posting from GMAIL.