[Dovecot] recipient_delimiter

Gregory Finch gfinch at ldmltd.ca
Thu May 27 17:50:41 EEST 2010

On 2010-05-26 1:59 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:20:06 -0400
> Phil Howard <ttiphil at gmail.com> articulated:
>
>> I have recipient_delimiter = + in main.cf (Postfix).  But deliveries
>> to dovecot/deliver are still being rejected.  It appears that the full
>> email is still in the envelope (e.g. phil+howard at example.com which I
>> want to be delivered to phil at example.com).  Is that how it's supposed
>> to work and Dovecot just doesn't support this?
>
> On or about line 821 in the Dovecot.conf file:
>
> #auth_username_chars = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@
>
> If you have not all ready done so, add the "+" to the end of the list
> and un-comment the line. I believe you will have to restart 'dovecot'
> for the change to take affect.
>
> By the way, Postfix must be properly configured to pass the email
> address to dovecot. I leave that as an exercise to the user. You might
> want to start here thought:
>
> 	http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix

I've never had to touch auth_username_chars to get this to work.

In main.cf, I've set:

mailbox_transport = dovecot
recipient_delimiter = +

And in master.cf:

# Dovecot
dovecot         unix    -       n       n       -       -       pipe
        flags=DR user=vmail:vmail
argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f ${sender} -d ${user} -a
${recipient} -n -m ${extension}

I may not need all the options to deliver, but this does work nice.
One thing I did notice is that I needed to add the %L arg in my passdb
and userdb definitions in my dovecot.conf in order to make the mailbox
name case insensitive:

  passdb:
    driver: passwd-file
    args: username_format=%Ln /etc/dovecot/passwd
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=500 gid=500 home=/srv/dovecot/%Ln

-Greg