[Dovecot] Dovecot and user's quota

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Nov 18 21:07:23 EET 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 13:09 +0100, oriol llistes wrote:

> We are planning to use Dovecot-2.0.5 (Maildir format) as IMAP server.
..
> 1)Postfix must use /var/mail partition for new mails.
> 2)Dovecot must move these mails to user’s HOME.
> 3)User’s HOME must be in Maildir format.

v1.x supported that with mbox-snarf, but only with mbox -> mbox. In v2.0
the mbox-snarf plugin has been broken and it's been a bit difficult to
fix. I now redesigned it and named it snarf. So if you get the latest
code from hg (or tomorrow's nightly snapshot or wait for v2.0.8) you can
do something like:

mail_plugins = snarf

namespace default {
  prefix =
  separator = .
  inbox = yes
}
namespace snarf {
  prefix = .snarf
  separator = .
  location = mbox:/var/run/dovecot/empty:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=MEMORY
}

plugin {
  snarf = .snarf/INBOX
}

(Using the separator as the first character in snarf namespace prefix
guarantees that there won't be collisions with user's mailbox names.)