[Dovecot] Outlook problem when deleting mails

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Oct 14 17:37:06 EEST 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 18:48 +0200, Ulf Jaenicke-Rößler wrote:
> A colleague is running Outlook 2007 on Vista and sometimes (sometimes very often, sometimes only occasionally) when he wants to delete mails, Outlook hangs for some time (he says about 1, 2 or 3 minutes) until it finally puts out a message box:
> "The server did not respond to this IMAP command before the connection was terminated"
>
> I have activated the outlook-idle workaround, but I learned that this doesn't do anything anymore, right?

Right.

> What exactly does "Disconnected in IDLE" mean? Could the error be related to the same time stamp?

It means that client was running an IDLE command and waiting there.
Dovecot at some point noticed that the client got disconnected there and
logs that message.

Wonder if your problem is really some network related issue where a
firewall doesn't like long running connections and just starts blocking
them at some point.