[Dovecot] dovecot as exchange server?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Sep 15 18:47:27 EEST 2010

Am 15.09.2010 13:31, schrieb Jacek Osiecki:
> Hi,
>
> This might be a stupid question, since my knowledge about Exchange is
> really poor...
>
> Since I've got iPhone, I have noticed that IMAP mailbox support is quite
> crippled in this device - in comparison to Exchange mailboxes...
> As I assume that it would be easier to convince Bill Gates to install
> linux than to convince Steve Jobs to change anything in his "perfect
> phone", I started searching for something that could serve emails
> similarly to Exchange. Since gmail provides Exchange access, and they
> definitely don't run a single huge MS Exchange server, I assume that it
> is somehow possible to implement Exchange protocols - or am I wrong?
>
> So, finally - if it is possible to use Exchange protocol, would there be
> any plans for implementing it in dovecot?
>
> Best regards,

there is no exchange protocol, there ist something like mapi
which you use in a windows network beetween outlook and exchange
( and much more stuff exchange uses ...)

i guess what you want is a solution like outlook/exchange

there are a few solutions on linux out there based on open source
like kolab etc, which combine to exchange function level, this has not a
real a relation to dovecot which is a imap/pop3 server

but you can goal nearly same groupware functions like outlook/exchange
if you combine dovecot with i.e postfix/sql, webmail horde on apache,
and funambol plugins for outlook and/or thunderbird ( with acl plugin,
and lightning ) cross os multidomain solution, also should work with
android funambol syncml and k9 client and/or z-push ( in horde from
version 4 ) for active sync, at last with spamassassin and clamav
antivir this is high performance groupware mailserver solution in opensource

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria