[Dovecot] doveadm-expunge debug message clarifications

LEVAI Daniel leva at ecentrum.hu
Fri Sep 24 23:42:35 EEST 2010

> On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 15:09 +0200, LEVAI Daniel wrote:
[...]
> > doveadm(root): Debug: expire: Searching only users listed in expire database
[...]
> logging that. I fixed in hg so that it now instead logs:
> expire: Iterating only a single user, ignoring expire database
Great!

> > If I don't specify a user with '-u', then nothing gets expunged, so it
> > doesn't get the list of users from the expire database.
> If you don't use -u or -A then it tries to access the current system
> user's mails.
Aha!

> > doveadm(<user>): Error: net_connect_unix(/var/dovecot//dict) failed:
> > Permission denied
> I improved this error message now in hg to show what user doesn't have
> access.
Great!

> > # ls -la /var/dovecot/dict
> > srw------- 1 root wheel 0 Sep 21 09:47:00 2010 /var/dovecot/dict=
> > ..
> > What is trying to use that socket when I'm expunging mails? Am I
> > supposed to grant my internal_user some privileges to that socket?
> > While I got that error message, the expunge has succeeded.
> doveadm tries to access the expire database via the dict socket. You
> didn't really give enough information about what user you're running
> doveadm as or if you're using system or virtual users or..
Sorry. I'm running that doveadm command as root, with the -u <user>
parameter, where <user> is a virtual user.
Anyway, I've just read the wiki2 again, and noted that I don't really
need the expire plugin, because it is only needed for the -A option. If
I specify the -u parameter, it doesn't utilize the plugin. So I'm now
using only the doveadm expunge -u ... command, which now gives me this
output:

# /usr/local/bin/doveadm -D expunge -u <user> mailbox sa.* SAVEDBEFORE 1d
doveadm(root): Debug: Loading modules from directory: /usr/local/lib/dovecot
doveadm(root): Debug: Module loaded: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/lib10_quota_plugin.so
doveadm(root): Debug: Loading modules from directory: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/doveadm
doveadm(root): Debug: Skipping module doveadm_expire_plugin, because dlopen() failed: Cannot load specified object
			^^^ I'm curious about this error message. Is it
			safe to ignore this?
doveadm(root): Debug: Module loaded: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/doveadm/lib10_doveadm_quota_plugin.so
doveadm(<user>): Debug: expunge: box=sa.spam uid=6435
doveadm(<user>): Debug: expunge: box=sa.spam uid=6436
doveadm(<user>): Debug: expunge: box=sa.spam uid=6437
doveadm(<user>): Debug: expunge: box=sa.spam uid=6438

The only thing I've changed in the config is that I've removed the
expire plugin from the $mail_plugins variable.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
LÉVAI Dániel