[Dovecot] Meaning of mail_max_userip_connections?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 27 15:50:20 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 12:17 +0200, Harald Strack wrote:
> > > Our users mostly accessing the IMAP server by a webmailer or  proxies.
> > > Thus, all users (>10000) come from only 5 different IP. However, I got a
> > > lot of complaints about denied connections after setting
> > > mail_max_userip_connections = 10.
> > >
> We want to limit the number of imap processes per user to 10, but not
> the number of processes per client IP (because of the proxies).

For that mail_max_userip_connections should have worked. If you get
complaints then it's because some client opens more than 10 connections
(or user has multiple clients open from same IP) or your webmail opens
>10 connections simultaneously.

You didn't say if the complains were from webmail users or from IMAP
client users.. Assuming webmail, I guess the problem is that it just
opens so many connections. With v2.0 you could specify different limits
to a certain network range (i.e. disable it for webmail, keep it for
rest).

BTW. The default for mail_max_userip_connections is 10, so do you mean
before you had it set to 0?