[Dovecot] Meaning of mail_max_userip_connections?

Harald Strack strack at hm.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:30:46 EEST 2010

Hi Timo,

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 13:50 +0100, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > We want to limit the number of imap processes per user to 10, but not
> > the number of processes per client IP (because of the proxies).
>
> For that mail_max_userip_connections should have worked. If you get
> complaints then it's because some client opens more than 10 connections
> (or user has multiple clients open from same IP) or your webmail opens
> >10 connections simultaneously.
Accordingly, mail_max_userip_connections limits the number of
connections from an IP. To deal with a scenario, when 400 Users behind a
NAT-gateway come from the same IP (the gateway), we have to set
mail_max_userip_connections = 400, right?

> You didn't say if the complains were from webmail users or from IMAP
> client users.. Assuming webmail, I guess the problem is that it just
> opens so many connections.
Both.
> With v2.0 you could specify different limits
> to a certain network range (i.e. disable it for webmail, keep it for
> rest).
Will there also be a limit per user?

> BTW. The default for mail_max_userip_connections is 10, so do you mean
> before you had it set to 0?
Nearly. We had it set to 1000 and we set it to 1000 again now.

best regards

Harry