[Dovecot] dovecot proxy with nopassword and postfix sasl

Franco Rizzo franco.rizzo at netrics.ch
Fri May 13 00:02:53 EEST 2011

HI All

I have setup a dovecot proxy with remote auth, value nopassword in the passdb to make the auth remotely.
With pop3 and imap the authentication is made on the remote server and this work perfectly.

I have tested with wrong and correct password.

Then I have added the postfix sasl and this also works fine, the request is made to dovecot.

My problem is that with this method I can give any password to postfix and mail is sent.

In the debug it seams that a request is made to the remote server for auth.

The smtp sasl auth is only refused when I put no password.

Is it allowed to use postfix sasl auth with dovecot proxy auth on remote server ?

Thank you

Franco Rizzo