[Dovecot] Configuration problem?

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Tue Feb 7 13:57:07 EET 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:08:24AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On 6 February 2012 17:49, Dennis Guhl <dg at dguhl.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 05:33:01PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >> I have a new Scientific Linux 6.1 mail server (dovecot -n below) and
> >> am seeing the following in the logs, with no idea what is happening:
> >>
> >>  --------------------- Dovecot Begin ------------------------
> >>

> >>  Dovecot was killed, and not restarted afterwards.
> >
> > You shut dovecot down and does not restart it.
> >
> It appears to be doing things without my intervention.  Despite the
> reports that it kept shutting down, Dovecot continued to serve
> messages throughout the day.

The messages logwatch shows appeared at some time within the analysed
period and are not necessarily in a time sorted order. Btw do not rely
on any summary of log files but look into the log yourself.

[..]

> You mean the version of logwatch is too old?  I'm beginning to wonder

Yes, the current version is 7.4.0 from march 2011
(http://www.logwatch.org).

> whether running an Enterprise version is such a good idea after all.

I don't know Scientific Linux but I use Debian stable on all my server
and I'm very happy with it. Nonetheless do I manually upgrade some
packages wich added needed features or are maintained by upstream.

It is crucial to know and understand the philosophy behind a
distribution and to decide if this works for you and if you can live
with the caveats resulting.

Dennis