[Dovecot] Configuration problem?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:20:18 EET 2012

On 07/02/12 11:57, Dennis Guhl wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 08:08:24AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> You shut dovecot down and does not restart it.
>>>
>> It appears to be doing things without my intervention.  Despite
>> the reports that it kept shutting down, Dovecot continued to
>> serve messages throughout the day.
>
> The messages logwatch shows appeared at some time within the
> analysed period and are not necessarily in a time sorted order.
> Btw do not rely on any summary of log files but look into the log
> yourself.
>
> [..]

Actually, this morning there aren't the same messages, so perhaps I was
restarting services while trying to get it right - in fact it seems very
likely that that was so.  Today there are a few like

    dovecot: imap(anne): Disconnected: Logged out bytes=11892/21219: 1
Time(s)

I presume that refers to clients logging out of the imap connection?  In
which case, I can forget about that.

I normally read the summary each morning and refer directly to the logs
if I see something that looks unusual.  Occasionally, as in this case,
there are entries that I don't understand and I ask those who do :-)

>> You mean the version of logwatch is too old?  I'm beginning to
>> wonder
>
> Yes, the current version is 7.4.0 from march 2011
> (http://www.logwatch.org).
>
>> whether running an Enterprise version is such a good idea after
>> all.
>
> I don't know Scientific Linux but I use Debian stable on all my
> server and I'm very happy with it. Nonetheless do I manually
> upgrade some packages wich added needed features or are maintained
> by upstream.
>
> It is crucial to know and understand the philosophy behind a
> distribution and to decide if this works for you and if you can
> live with the caveats resulting.

I've run CentOS for maybe 4 years, and it's similar to SL, both being
RHEL clones, but maintained by different communities.  On a server
(even though this is a very "mild" server, being only file and print
serving) the older packages are rarely a problem.

I appreciate the time and trouble you are taking to educate me :-)

Anne