[Dovecot] I'm confused about my namespace parms

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Sun Feb 19 02:35:18 EET 2012

Quoting "Julio C. Ortega" <roliverio at vaslibre.org.ve>:

> El 18/02/12 12:34, Steve Campbell escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm new to the list and to dovecot. I'm having a strange situation that
> provides
> > no errors, so I'm having a little problem diagnosing what's going on.
> >
> > I've been running a Centos 3 mail server with sendmail for our company for
> quite
> > a few years. I finally got approval for new servers this year and put
> Centos 6.2
> > on it. I'm sticking with sendmail, but that's not important.
> >
> > Up to this point, I've got all working fairly well. I've found that if I
> > configure dovecot to use the mixed format (pop and imap INBOX in
> > /var/spool/mail, Imap folders in /home/user/mail, two namespaces) as in
> the
> > examples for "namespace", most works fine. Anyone who has used imap
> previously
> > on our old system and work as if nothing has changed. Anyone who has never
> used
> > Imap before can't seem to access the server using our webmail app
> (Horde/Imp).
> > Dovecot is providing both pop and imap. An account that is set up from a
> normal
> > mail client as imap has no problems as well.
> >
> > Sendmail is set up to create a new user in the /var/spool/mail folder. When
> > moved from the old server to the new server, I copied /home and
> /var/spool/mail
> > to the new server - in other words, I kept the same scheme.
> >
> > There are no errors in the maillog, and it indicates that the user is
> getting
> > logged in and out, but the return to Horde is that the user entered the
> wrong
> > name or password. I'm thinking that this is probably due to how dovecot is
> > trying to look for the imap folders, but the lack or any errors makes it a
> > little difficult to diagnose.
> >

> Looks like a Mail Directory seek problem. what's your mail_location set
> up to?, also, does this location exist for that NEW user on it's first
> login?
>

> --
> ----------------------------------
> Julio C. Ortega - VaSLibre
> Usuario GNU/Linux
> Valencia - Venezuela

My 10-mail.conf has the following:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

and my namespaces are as follows:

namespace {
  type = private
  separator = /
  prefix = "#mbox/"
  location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
  inbox = yes
  hidden = yes
  list = no
}
namespace {
  type = private
  separator = /
  prefix =
  location = maildir:~/mail
}

As I stated, I need to brush up on what all this really means. So far, reading
the documentation has cleared up much for me. I'm sure it'll make sense later,
but for now, I'm a little hazy.

This machine was tested last weekend, and I had problems with reading any email.
I'm using the examples found in the wiki and the above worked. Our old server is
so anemic that we're getting delays of multiple hours for delivery after the
server accepts it, so this weekend, I left the new server up and running.

Thanks for any help and the replies.

steve