[Dovecot] Dovecot clustering with dsync-based replication
CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com
Tue Feb 28 22:10:12 EET 2012
On 2012-02-28 9:43 AM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 09:27 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 2012-02-28 9:03 AM, Timo Sirainen<tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>>> This document describes a design for a dsync-replicated Dovecot cluster.
>> Wow, talk about timing... this looks like a perfect answer to my
>> previous question about setting up two servers in two different
>> locations to serve two different sets of users locally...
> Yeah, I was delaying answering it until I posted this.
Cool, thanks - I look forward to any comments you might have on my
>> Looks like it wouldn't really matter which server they connected to
>> externally, as any changes would simply be replicated.
> Well, preferably users would connect to the same server. If both servers
> have done changes at the same time, there can be some temporary
> (possibly user-visible) confusion.
Point taken - and thinking about it, the amount of traffic would be
negligible, since users accessing emails remotely is much less than
But a question out of curiosity: can the Director be configured to
redirect userA to private IP #.#.#.# when connecting from a local
subnet, but connect them to Public IP ##.##.##.##.## when accessing
remotely? I don't know enough about routing to answer this myself... but
if it is possible, then I could minimize traffic on the inter-office
link - but there really is not enough remote traffic to worry about this
too much I think.
>> Timo, state above that this 'describes a design'... does this mean that
>> this is doable right now? Which of the following terms would you use to
>> describe it at this point in time?
>> Potentially problematic
> Not finished yet, so closest to this. :) I'm planning on making our own
> mails use this within a few weeks (currently it's a dsync in crontab
> every 5 minutes).
Cool, it sounds like it may be safe to set this up then in say 2 or 3
months? Since I'll most likely be contracting with your company to help
with this, I'll wait and see what you say once we're ready to roll this
out - and maybe you'll be willing to give us a deal on the
implementation and/or support costs if we're willing to serve as guinea
More information about the dovecot