[Dovecot] Multiple instances

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Feb 6 21:58:02 EET 2012

v2.1 now saves the base_dir and instance_name to /var/lib/dovecot/instances when starting up. If you have for example two instances with names "backend" and "proxy", you can then use:

doveadm -i proxy proxy list

instead of something like:

doveadm -c /etc/dovecot-proxy/dovecot.conf proxy list

The same -i parameter works for all dovecot programs. I also added a couple of new doveadm commands:

# doveadm instance list
path                            name  last used           running
/var/run/dovecot                proxy 2012-02-06 21:41:39 yes

# doveadm instance remove proxy

It would be possible to add commands to start/shutdown some/all instances using doveadm, but is it all that useful? I'd guess people would have their own init.d scripts anyway doing that.

Anything else that could be useful related to this?