[Dovecot] dsync, hard-links and refcounts

Christoph Bußenius busseniu at in.tum.de
Mon Feb 13 16:16:29 EET 2012

Hi,

when creating a copy of a mail, dovecot provides a feature that will
store its contents only once.  In maildir, this is done by means of hard
links, while mdbox has some special refcounting mechanism.

My question is, how can we convert mails from maildir to mdbox without
duplicating these copies?  It seems that dsync does not detect the hard
links.  Even if the hard-linked mails have the same GUID listed in
dovecot-uidlist, dsync creates multiple instances of the text.
   - Is there some way to make dsync notice the hard links? (I used
     dovecot 2.0.17)
   - Alternatively, is there some tool to deduplicate the mdbox after it
     has been converted from maildir?
   - NB: I am not talking about single-instance storage for attachments.

Thank you very much,
Christoph

--
Christoph Bußenius
Rechnerbetriebsgruppe der Fakultäten Informatik und Mathematik